East Atlanta's Most Trusted Pediatric Dentist
Kids Dental Cleanings
Kids' dental cleanings are important to maintaining a healthy smile throughout childhood. Pediatric dentists are specially trained to provide dental care for children, and they understand the unique needs of young patients.
During a child's dental cleaning, the pediatric dentist or hygienist will:
- Examine the teeth and gums. The pediatric dentist or hygienist will look for any signs of cavities, gum disease, or other dental problems.
- Remove plaque and tartar buildup. Plaque and tartar are sticky substances that can build up on teeth and lead to cavities and gum disease. The dentist or hygienist will use a special tool to remove plaque and tartar.
- Floss the teeth. Flossing removes food and plaque from between the teeth, where a toothbrush cannot reach. The dentist or hygienist will floss the child's teeth to help prevent cavities and gum disease.
- Polish the teeth. Polishing the teeth helps to remove stains and make them look brighter. The dentist or hygienist will use a special polish to clean and shine the child's teeth.
- Apply fluoride treatment. Fluoride is a mineral that helps to strengthen the teeth and prevent cavities. The dentist or hygienist will apply fluoride to the child's teeth to help keep them healthy.
- Discuss oral hygiene. The dentist or hygienist will teach the child and their parents how to brush and floss properly.
- Answer any questions. The dentist or hygienist will be happy to answer any questions that the child or their parents have about dental health.
Kids' dental cleanings are typically painless and quick. Most kids can sit through the cleaning without any problems. If your child is apprehensive about going to the dentist, there are a few things you can do to help them feel more comfortable.
- Talk to your child about what to expect. Explain to them that the dentist will be looking at their teeth and gums and that they may need to have their teeth cleaned.
- Take your child to the dentist for a visit before they have any problems. This will help them get used to the dentist and the dental office.
- Stay with your child during the cleaning. This will help them feel more comfortable and secure.
Kids' dental cleanings are an important part of maintaining a healthy smile. By taking your child to the dentist for regular checkups and cleanings, you can help them develop healthy oral habits that will last a lifetime.
Here are some additional benefits of kids' dental cleanings:
- Early detection of problems. By getting regular dental checkups, any problems can be detected early, when they are easier to treat.
- Prevention of dental problems. Regular dental checkups and cleanings can help prevent cavities, gum disease, and other dental problems.
- Improved overall health. Good oral health is linked to overall health. For example, studies have shown that people with gum disease are more likely to develop heart disease and stroke.
If you are looking for a pediatric dentist for your child, be sure to ask about their experience and qualifications. You should also feel comfortable with the dentist and the dental office.